I have being playing around with designing a new router since about the start of July 2009, I had actually started cutting out parts for Joe’s 2006, but so many of the larger parts were too big for my current router and were going to have to be joined, that I stopped cutting and starting thinking about designing the kit that I would have liked to have when I was first searching. So after after 6 weeks of prototyping parts, I started cutting out all of the parts for what I hope will be an easy router that can be sold as a kit that would allow someone to get up and running quickly without having to spend a few months building a router with hand/power tools.
I have already veered of my original intent a bit, but if this thing actually works well, I have plans on simplifying a few areas to make it so I can ship a fairly small kit with the end user supplying a number of standard size pieces of lumber, well see what happens with that.
The router is designed to have a 24″ x 48″ cutting area, the machine dimensions are ~36″ x 60″, all the rails are designed to use black gas pipe and roller bearings, as in all things I work on, containing costs is one of the prime objectives.
This is about where I stand at the moment, I just added the z rails right after this picture. I have a fair way left to go, the 1/2″ acme lead screws are here, the 4 270 oz motors are here, I am going to attempt to make my own lead nuts and couplings, so much work still lies ahead, I will do my best to post updates as the major pieces come together.
This was my initial proof of concept prototype, and it was solid enough, so I decided to continue cutting the parts of a prototype for each axis, there were a number of assembly points along the way.
At this point it seemed like this might actually work, so I made some final adjustments to the design and proceeded to cut out all the parts need to build the monster. I then built the table you see them sitting on, and for some reason decided I should go ahead and prime and paint them… not my brightest idea, priming took forever, a lot of small pieces with way too many edges to seal. The yellow paint was a pain as well, 2 to 3 coats to cover, next time I am using dark blue 🙂
With painting finally finished, I assembled most of the major pieces fairly quickly…